Playing Truth or Dare with... The Cotton Field Scarecrowes.

9:30 PM


I had only first heard of them after they were announced as one of the performers for the now memorable Good Vibes Fest this year, and all I wanted was to know more about the band. Folk music should be more in the spotlight, and it's about time a band like The Cotton Field Scarecrowes soak up some attention in the Malaysian music scene.


The Cotton Field Scarecrowes started off as duo, the Sultan brothers (Johann and Shahrhyl), sharing the same father but was brought up separately. They have an age gap of 7 years, but was reunited through the love of music which they both inherited from their father.

The duo then added 2 other band mates to complete the band. The bassist (Damian Xavier) was brought in by the older Sultan brother and the drummer (Praveen Matthews) by the younger brother.

I even described them once as a mix between Sigur Ros, Jeff Buckley and the Avett Brothers in the Bubblebeam Good Vibes 2014 post.

But they aren't your regular riddly diddly jangly jiggly folk band. They're whimsical. They're fun. And they were good sports during the interview. 

Without any hesitation, and following my pure excitement, I present to you Bubblebeam Magazine's interview with The Cotton Field Scarecrowes, as well as a fun game of Truth or Dare!





Tell us about yourselves!

JOHANN SULTAN: Howdy, I'm Johann Sultan the principle songwriter and frontman of the band The Cotton Field Scarecrowes. Also the founder of an audio recording plant/label REV 9:9 RECORDS.

SHAHRHYL SULTAN: Hi, I'm Shahrhyl from The Cotton Field Scarecrowes. 

PRAVEEN MATHEWS: Praveen Mathews, the one sitting on a stool. I like soaking up the sun and eating nuts.

DAMIAN XAVIER: Hi I'm Damian on the bass.

            

Okay, now introduce yourselves as a whole band.

THE COTTON FIELD SCARECROWES: We are The Cotton Field Scarecrowes!... At your service.


So, who came up with the band's intro sentence first?

TCFS: Johann Sultan!


To the Sultan boys, what was the first song or artist that you guys have bonded over first?

JS: Well, we grew up in totally different sides of notes. Of course there are some favourite songs and albums that we share interest from our father's collections. For example, The Beatles and The Shadows.

SS: The both of us have that astounding love for the 50s - 60s sound, from the raw recordings, to it's natural tones of every instrument. The Shadows sticks out, whereas bands such as The Flaming Lips gave a wide avenue for our bonding. There are few other bands which Jo introduced me to which I could not stop listening to, and that strengthened our bond as well, with the likes of Sigur Ros and others.





How would you describe your own sound as a band? What separates you from the rest?

JS: We call it the 'Bleak Folk Hymnody'. Kinda like songs of hope or a blessed ending. Yes, we always say that, but it is something that we would really love to convey through our humble music. The music world is vast. There are no separations. It is what one believes and do what he/she believes without anything to prove. You’re free.

SS: I've always felt our first album has that inspiration essence on a personal level. The stories we tell makes so much sense when you're in that phase of life, and it brings you up at that perfect time, unexpectedly. The bleak influence displays an audible roughness and the transcending moment to brightness makes it somewhat alive.

PM: Trying very hard not to say "folk" and "americana", I would describe it as "roots music"; geared towards the simple and unique styles of country music, telling stories and of dreams. Don't think I need to explain anymore, how it separates us!



             


What do each of you see yourselves in the future?

JS: To be a steady musician and a worthy man.

SS: Writing and composing more materials to touch many souls out there. Having to contribute something back to this world, with doing what I love, isn't that what we're all down here for?

PM: Hopefully many more albums, exploring other instruments. Looking forward to more collaborations with other artists, especially on visual arts.

DX: I'm also looking to learn new instruments to add new dimensions to our music, bringing it to the next level. Also to get more involved in the creation of the songs.




Where did you get your whimsical band name?

JS: The name actually derived from a Solo project of mine back in 2011. A one-man-band project. Home recordings and stuffs. Now why the name? Well... it is because of my love with American Folk Music. The history, the country and music were the characters that led me to the name The Cotton Field Scarecrowes.

SS: Well at the time where we were still in the midst of discussion on the direction and idea for the album, taking things step by step, Jo sent me a demo of a recording having the name in the artist field written : The Cotton Field Scarecrowes. I asked Jo where the hell did this brilliant name come from?! It's awesome! Things went on a fast train ride since then.

PM & DX: (Looks at the Sultan boys)




Did you purposely dress like modern British farmers as a concept, or do you guys dress up like it constantly? Either way, it's a good look for you guys.

JS: Hmmmm, we don't dress up like British farmers actually. It is more like bringing back the 'old fashioned' look and style. Right from the Appalachian mountains down to the Great Depression. We don't dress it at all times, however we will sometimes when it's related to the story of our set list. It depends really. We are not 'old fashioned' people hey,...Hahahaha!

PM: British?! Cool, I thought we came off very American. But yes, the dressing was intentional. And it has kind of grown on us, we will eventually look like a scarecrow.

SS: British?!!





(Hides face) American then! Our bad! Still good. How was playing at Good Vibes Fest? What were your favourite parts if you stayed and enjoyed the shows after?

JS: It was a good experience for the band. We are really grateful to have been given a chance to showcase our music to the people. And we all enjoyed Empire Of The Sun. They were really good. From stage set to showmanship. 

SS: Brilliant experience throughout, I'd play again at any given day. The whole day was a blast, awesome lineups - great talent. Loved it!

PM: Good Vibes was a blast. The supportive people we met, the great performances, the stories shared, we loved all of it. I would say time with the crew was what I enjoyed the most. A talented, tireless, and hilarious bunch they are.

DX: It was a great learning experience playing in a festival setting for the first time. It had posed a few technical challenges in terms of getting the right sound. But overall, it was great. I felt priviledged to be a part of one of the biggest events in the Malaysian arts scene.


            



The boys has to also pick a truth or a dare to do that Bubblebeam has given them as choices. There were two choices of Truths and two choices of Dares, so let's find out what they picked and what each of them did!


TRUTH 1: "Who was your first kiss? Describe the moment, and time and describe how you felt."

SHAHRHYL SULTAN:

My first kiss experience is pretty weird and at the same time funny. It was my first girlfriend back when I was in high school. All I know was that I had to kiss her at that point of time when I had the chance, since a few chances went begging and I did not take it.

So picture a dreamy weather with a pinch of sweets on your tongue. We were having ice-cream in the car and when she had some spill on her chin. I leaned over and wiped her clean, goofing her act of silliness - and that's when I my spontaneity took over. "Oh, sorry I missed a spot" and I leaned over slowly. 


She was driving the rest after that...


I felt good, as that was the first time I'd ever kissed someone. But honestly, I didn't know what I was doing, and I was actually paying a lot of attention trying not to mess it up (the moment). And after a few more kissing moments, it became my forte or rather I would want to believe so.




DARE 1: "We dare you to shoot a video of yourself do the ice bucket challenge (for fun!) and post it on Youtube.""

PRAVEEN MATHEWS:

                              



TRUTH 2: "Describe the worst gig you've ever played or been to."

DAMIAN XAVIER:

We haven't many had many 'bad' gigs in particular, cause every gig we play has its different challenges and rewards at the same time. For us, it's all taken as an opportunity to learn from both the good and bad, try to do better at our next gig. 


There was one incident at one particular gig in a bar though that I found more humorous than anything. I was hanging out nearby the main entrance of the bar during a break of our set, and a bunch of people were exiting the bar. As the group went out the door, one bloke looked at me and said "I'm getting outta here before I kill myself mate!" 


It was probably due to the somber nature of our music. But feedback is feedback, and it's all taken in stride. You can't please everyone as they say. I hope he didn't go out and take his life though....



DARE 2: "We dare you to create a picture collage of your favourite things, from your favourite actors to the places you wish you've been to. Or draw the many favourite things of yours!"

JOHANN SULTAN:




From a fun truth or dare session, to calling them British farmers by accident, Bubblebeam Magazine are even more obsessed with what a great bunch of guys these musicians are. We can't wait to see what the future will hold for The Cotton Field Scarecrowes.


CHECK OUT THE COTTON FIELD SCARECROWES AND GIVE THEM LOVE:

facebook

bandcamp

youtube

Special thanks to the band and Hazel for the pictures, the efforts and the emails!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us!

Facebook: Bubblebeam Magazine

Email us!

bubblebeammag@gmail.com